Solely In Black and White: Ignore Expiration Dates

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Ignore Expiration Dates

I recently read an interesting article titled Ignore Expiration Dates. While I am sure this article would make for a great “Food Foibles (4).” I imagine it could also be used either as a good first date discussion topic or conversational springboard, but that’s not the direction I intended to take it. Although please do, I am curious to see what can be cooked up.


Anyway, I gleamed from this article two interesting points, aside from the authors eating habits.


It has been said that singles have expiration dates. Well good news people, us singles no longer have to worry. “The fact is that expiration dates mean very little.” Proof of this fact has even been explained by scientist:


  • Besides, as University of Minnesota food scientist Ted Labuza explained to me, expiration dates address quality—optimum freshness—rather than safety and are extremely conservative.


See nothing to worry about. But the most important message of the article seems to be “But if they haven't lost their looks, ignore the printed date.” Need I say more?


I should note: you probably shouldn’t listen to everything said in that article and apply it to shidduchim. I mean while I agree that “canned items are potentially the safest foods around and will keep five years or more if stored in a cold pantry,” I don’t think that is a viable solution. I’ll have to ask my parents for their perspective on that one.


Oh right, the legal disclaimer:

*I, SiBW, take no responsibility for any form of foodborne illness acquired through following the information contained or related to said article or any other unfortunate outcome that it entails. User discretion is strongly advised.*

7 comments:

  1. The post is cute (especially the legal disclaimer), but I don't much like comparing older singles to cartons of food with expired expiration dates. It’s bit demeaning.

    And I don't care what the article says; I'm not eating anything that has an expired expiration date. I'm the kind of person who puts away their groceries immediately, and I’ve still had plenty of bad experiences with spoiled milk that hadn’t yet reached its expiration date. Yech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback.

    Really? Anything? I wouldn’t eat anything expired that has the potential to give me food poisoning or make me really sick, such as eggs, milk, and raw meat, chicken and fish, but anything else I would consider.

    I think I should bring up this article on a future date. Who know what interesting conversations or discussions could stem from this…

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nope. Chips do taste stale after their expiration date, and I imagine that the same thing would apply to tuna.

    "I wouldn’t eat anything expired that has the potential to give me food poisoning or make me really sick, such as eggs, milk, and raw meat, chicken and fish, but anything else I would consider."

    Can't you get food poisoning from anything?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yup, and most of the recent food recalls had nothing to do with spoilage. So you really can get sick from anything. Although, I still think that eggs, milk, meat, chicken and fish inherently carry a higher risk because they naturally contain microbes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know why I wrote tuna in my last comment, btw. I meant to write pasta. (I know, no connection between tuna and pasta whatsoever. Very weird.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol, nice response. Thanks for the link to this.

    Question for you: I know this is theoretical being that it b'h doesn't apply to you any longer, but would you have ignored the expiration date if everything else was there and seems okay?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sun Inside Rain, no problem, glad you enjoyed.

    The first question I would need to ask is: what is considered the expiration date for a girl? If we say it’s any girl over 22 then that’s not a theoretical question at all! When I was dating I went out with girls who could be classified as “past their expiration date.” Furthermore, I even went out with girls older than me precisely as you asked; because everything else was there. I know some people do not follow this practice, but age wasn’t one of those factors that bothered me deeply.

    ReplyDelete

You can use some basic HTML tags as well as these emoticons. If you wish to comment anonymously, please use the Name/URL option and give yourself a unique title. You can leave the URL field blank if you wish. Thanks for your comment. Enjoy.