Solely In Black and White: Now That Might Be Scary! To Some...

Monday, June 28, 2010

Now That Might Be Scary! To Some...

Researchers at Ben-Gurion University of the Negev (BGU) developed a software program that can detect depression in blogs and online texts. The software is capable of identifying language that can indicate the writer's psychological state, which could serve as a screening tool.


Click here for the full article.


While I could venture to say that the world doesn’t need a program like this (isn’t it kind of obvious how happy someone is based on what and how they write?), I am still curios about the inner workings of this program. Can it really reveal profoundly ingrained psychological insights merely by one’s choice of words without knowing an author’s predisposed writing style? But the question I truly ponder: Can this little program determine jadedness? ;-)


6 comments:

  1. Why are you so into figuring out if you're jaded or not?

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, who says that it is I whom is trying to figure out if “I” am jaded? Regardless, jadedness is such a peculiar thing that I wondered if said program could determine it, especially in bloggers who have the tendency to avoid highly dramatic and emotion releases. Am I wrong?

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Anonymous:

    Nice name! Very creative. ;-) I am not sure who or what your directing your comment at, but thanks for the feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like my name better now? Very revealing isn't it...

    My comment was addressed at you.

    You're very welcome. I love giving feedback!

    And to comment on your actual post: "...especially in bloggers who have the tendency to avoid highly dramatic and emotion releases." Where did you get THAT idea from?

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Person:
    Thanks, I enjoy addressing people (or in your case, person(s):-) ) as opposed to an “anonymous.” I really wasn’t expecting your choice of name to be revealing. Didn’t you read the note above the comment box? ;-)

    Ah, okay then. Just checking. For the record: my comment wasn’t intended to poke fun at any particular blogger, nor the subset of bloggers who share their emotions publicly. I have no issue with that, nor do I believe that emotional bloggers are necessarily jaded. The point I was trying to convey was that bloggers who share their emotions don’t need to be tested with said algorithm, although it would be interesting to see the results; while bloggers who don’t share any emotions would be the ultimate test for this program. And btw, in “THAT idea” I was just trying to reference what the exact opposite of my blog would be. ;-)

    ReplyDelete

You can use some basic HTML tags as well as these emoticons. If you wish to comment anonymously, please use the Name/URL option and give yourself a unique title. You can leave the URL field blank if you wish. Thanks for your comment. Enjoy.