Solely In Black and White: Oh-No, Not Again; Get out of my head!

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Oh-No, Not Again; Get out of my head!


You know the felling when you have a song stuck in your head and it keeps playing over and over again, like replay or something. We’ll now I have two songs stuck in my head and I can’t get them out. :-( I’ve tried everything, but they keep going round and round. Don’t get me wrong, they’re good songs, but the sheer quantity and consistency is making me crazy.  I think I tried to use the second one to dislodge the first, but now I confounded the problem further. It’s like if one isn’t playing, then the other one is, and occasionally I’ll even get a twisted composition of both them play together! Now that is a bizarre melodic experience. I tried playing some Sesame Street, but that just made me smile at the nostalgia…. or humor… :-) and was quite short lived. I guess it’s just a hard knock life after all…. So any suggestions or known cures to this little harmonious problem?

7 comments:

  1. To better assist you in your search for a cure- a scientific perspective: :-)


    Why do songs get inextricably stuck in our heads? Experts say the culprits are earworms (or "ohrwurms," as they're called in Germany). No, they're not parasites that crawl into your ear and lay musical eggs in your brain, but they are parasitic in the sense that they get lodged in your head and cause a sort of "cognitive itch" or "brain itch" -- a need for the brain to fill in the gaps in a song's rhythm.
    When we listen to a song, it triggers a part of the brain called the auditory cortex. Researchers at Dartmouth University found that when they played part of a familiar song to research subjects, the participants' auditory cortex automatically filled in the rest -- in other words, their brains kept "singing" long after the song had ended [source: Prokhorov]. The only way to "scratch" brain itch is to repeat the song over and over in your mind. Unfortunately, like with mosquito bites, the more you scratch the more you itch, and so on until you're stuck in an unending song cycle.

    Someone have Rihannas "Love the way you lie" in their head that song is so ubiquitious...i hear it even when i don't wanna (which is most of the time)...maybe...::shrugs:: i dunno ;-P
    Good luck with that ear worm! (maybe stop thinking about it for a little while??-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Worms?! Eww… dirty … get’em out.. Hehe :-)

    Wow, interesting and thanks for that info. I’ll try to stop thinking about those two songs but one of the worms is mumbling something about please don’t stop the music, which is strange because it’s more of a melody… :-p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Evil wormies! (they wouldn't want the music stopped now would they?) lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've got that too...
    It's amazing how it works that yesterday i had one song stuck in my head and then today i couldn't even remember how it goes!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Bear Went Over the Mountain. Works every time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ tembow:
    If you forgot the song, then what’s the problem?

    @ Anonymous:
    Thanks for the idea. I’ll give it a spin. Btw, is that a scientific remedy? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. @SiBaW: It's just ironic that it works that way, that's all.

    ReplyDelete

You can use some basic HTML tags as well as these emoticons. If you wish to comment anonymously, please use the Name/URL option and give yourself a unique title. You can leave the URL field blank if you wish. Thanks for your comment. Enjoy.