Solely In Black and White: Is Blogging Dead (or Dying)?

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Is Blogging Dead (or Dying)?

The Passage of Time
Time Goes by So Slowly...

Is it just me or is blogging on the overall decline? Looking at my daily tally of new post in Google Reader, it would seem that bloggers have taken a serious hiatus. 


Personally, my excuse (and probably the excuse of many other bloggers) is that at a certain point in time life just becomes too busy to unswervingly type out coherent post. That’s not say I (or others) don’t have what to post about; I can assure you that is not the case. 


But in all fairness, who has the time to consistently post nowadays? Or more aptly, if one had to choose the best use of one’s (potentially limited) leisure time, would writing and proofing a blog post really be that high on the list? I surmise not. If you take into consideration that most bloggers are not paid any form of consideration (other than page hits/comments/ ego boosts) for their services, the benefits of maintaining a blog seem marginal.  


The other competing theory that I have been entertaining is that the usefulness of blogging has been diminished by social media. Why share random thoughts and inspirations with random strangers, when you can share them with your friends (acquaintances, or random strangers) on Facebook. Alternatively, why write a long-winded post centered around one discombobulated thought when you could just condense it into a tweet of 160 characters or so.  You can even get comments in real-time and perhaps spark a nice intellectual discussion! 


I don't think blogging will ever really die as it does have a very distinct purpose. Where else are you supposed to write long diatribes about utter randomness to be read by random people? Yet Blogging just seems so lacking and inefficient by comparison to its peers. Perhaps someone will recreate the blogging experience and restore it to it's original glory (Google perhaps?) but until that day comes it seems like the tide is heading out to sea... 



Receding water on the UWGB bayshore
A Sea of Change

6 comments:

  1. I think it's definitely because of Facebook and Twitter. Before that, people also got busy, but they were very quickly replaced by others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Google reader typically has 3-5 new posts a day. I have seen some slowdown, mostly in the shidduch blogging world, and primarily because people have been getting married.

    Looking at your blog list on the side - the non-shidduch blogs are more frequently updated than the shidduch blogs. The "problem" with shidduch blogging is its inherent limited life span - once the blogger gets engaged/married, he/she doesn't have much to blog/gripe about, and doesn't want to share details about their permanent relationship, so they end up fading away. This I have noticed a lot, and it is something I've struggled with for my own blog.

    I feel your pain. It can be very hard to write when your time is largely not your own any more, especially when married (and I imagine even more so with children) as well as working - for the bloggers who have graduated college.

    But, I still have a desire to be a part of the global discussion, to contribute, to learn, and generate discussion. There are always ways to be expressive and use a blog as an outlet.

    I think the bigger problem is people relying on blogs as their daily entertainment. I don't think it is so healthy to expect bloggers to produce content so regularly as a paid writer would, like you mention. It's a heckuva lot of pressure that certainly doesn't help when you're already struggling to find something to write about.

    For bloggers (at least for me) there is also the element of the "high" of satisfaction when those numbers on the hit counter go up and the comments start coming in. There is some attraction to connecting to others, seeing that what I write matters, feeling the confirmation that our existence is validated outside our immediate circle in life.

    As a friend used to say, "life isn't pashut." It certainly applies to blogging just as much as anything else in life...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had thought that the only way to blog would be about dating, and while that certainly gets the most hits I didn't want to start something with such limited content.

    I enjoy writing; always have. Twitter doesn't do it for me, even though I'm concise. And it gets me annoyed when people start blogs, put up one or two posts, and then stop. One has to be able to look ahead and know if they are capable of material for the long term.

    I hope it is not a passing phenomena. I really like to do it and hope I won't end up the only left on blogger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The variety is what makes your blog so interesting, Lea.

      I'm not sure about the long term before you start - it's rough going at the beginning, though. I've collected material to stock up for a future send-it-all-out, but it's never as exhilarating as the post-as-you-go.

      Blog without obligation, then you'll be blogging because you love it.

      Delete
  4. I dont think blogging will die, simply because the anonymity of it is the greatest appeal that you don't have in Facebook and twitter.

    Blogging allows you a forum to discuss thoughts with like-minded individuals without the fear of being judged. For some it helps them clarify thoughts, for some people it is a diary of sorts. These are not things that can be done on FB or Twitter

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And why can't one utilize an anonymous Facebook or Twitter account for those purposes?

      Delete

You can use some basic HTML tags as well as these emoticons. If you wish to comment anonymously, please use the Name/URL option and give yourself a unique title. You can leave the URL field blank if you wish. Thanks for your comment. Enjoy.